Do you love to DIY and make beautiful home decor or resin art pieces? If so, we’ll show you how to create your very own resin geode masterpiece in the form of a decorative wall clock!
What is a Resin Geode?
Geodes are geological formations within sedimentary or volcanic rocks that contain colorful mineral crystals inside. When these rocks are cracked or sliced open, their stunning gems are revealed.
A resin geode, though, is not a natural geode. Instead, it's an artistic version of a geode made with epoxy resin. You can add mica powders, glitters, and metallic pigments to your resin along with some crystals, real or artificial, to recreate Mother Nature's incredible colors and designs.
Visit our Pinterest Board for some inspiration.
How do you Make a Resin Geode Clock?
In this article, we’ll take you through the creative process behind a resin geode clock project using MEYSPRING Pigments. Follow the detailed step-by-step and you'll be able to create your customized version!
- Wall Clock Surface
- Clock Movements Mechanism
- Epoxy Resin
- Textures: Crystals, Crushed Glass, Acrylic Stones, etc.
- White Acrylic Paint (optional but great to seal wood clock bases to prevent air bubbles)
- Paint Markers and/or Pens
- Heat Gun and/or Torch
- Masking Tape
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue (for textured pieces listed above)
- Respirator Mask
- Nitrile Gloves
- Mixing Cups - Plastic, Silicone, Paper, etc.
- Stir Sticks - Plastic, Silicone, Paper, etc.
- Sander & Sandpaper (to remove resin drips)
Resin Geode Clock by @ellepours
Enjoy @ellepours' creative process
Resin artist @ellepours created this beautiful DIY wall clock using:
- Several epoxy pigments from the MEYSPRING Geode Art Collection Sample Set
- Round wood clock surface
- Clock movement mechanism
- And some crystals to spice up her design
Watch @ellepours' Process Video
MEYSPRING Pigments from the Geode Art Collection used in this piece:
Step By Step:
- Prep wood clock surface with white Acrylic Paint (several coats may be needed)
- Tape the back of the clock surface with masking tape
- Draft out the Geode Shape you want to create
- Mix your epoxy resin Part A with Part B
- Place larger crystals and/or stones and seal with a hot glue gun
- Place your crystals, stones, crushed glass on the clock surface first, affixing them with a dab of craft glue (such as PVA). Then pour clear resin on top to firmly attach the crystals to the surface*
- Mix the MEYSPRING pigments of your choice with epoxy resin
- Pour your Geode Art design
- Use a heat gun to pop any air bubbles, then use a heat torch to spread pigments as needed
- Once the resin is dry, add your linework with paint markers and pour a final flood coat of resin if needed
- When completely dry/cured, remove masking tape/sand resin drops from the back of the clock
- Install the clock movement mechanism
- And voilà! Your resin geode clock is ready
*Pro Tip: Wait until the resin poured over the crystals is tacky or dry before pouring your first layer with pigments. It will help prevent any unwanted mixing of colors and movement of the crystals that might still be unsecured.
Are you new to creating art with epoxy resin? Then, be sure to read our blog post: Safety Tips and proper PPE for Resin Art, to ensure you’re fully protected and prepared to create gorgeous pieces of art with epoxy!
Have you made your own resin geode wall clock? Let us know in the comments how it worked for you and share the results with us on Social Media, tagging us @meyspring or using our hashtag #MeyspringPigments on Instagram!
Always remember to credit the artist who inspired your creations if you feel like trying this technique: @ellepours